Here's what works for me (so far):
- My Bible. I love the ESV translation, but I also keep an NIV and The Message nearby for comparison.
- A Pen. I am one of those people who can.not. write in my Bible so I always keep notes in (see 4.)
- The current study I'm working on: Cultivating Contentment by Luci Swindoll
- My big note book lives at the study table. I use a 5 subject-notebook with a system similar to the one Courtney at Women Living Well shared. (check out her site today for a great Bible reading e-resource for free!). I am using it to record my answers to my study each day. I think better when I write. That's just how I roll :p
- The Power of Praying Wife by Stormie Omartin. I've written about this book before. I think God has really used this book as the inspiration for prayer that He has answered over the last two years, changing my heart towards my husband and the way i pray for others. I heart this book. (Don't worry - not more than I heart the Bible :p). I pray through one of the prayers in this book for Awesome each day).
- The Daily Reading Bible: Volume One - I am reading this concurrently with some others in my church and finding it a great resource. It deserves to be studied on its own really. Maybe it will become my number 3 when I finish that one... right now I'm just reading through to keep up with the others.
- My gratitude journal. Just a simple notebook where I just number the next line as I go and pour out some gratitude. God is so good. There is never a day where there is nothing to be grateful for, even though its hard to find things some times.
- It's hard to see, but this tiny pocket calendar has room for some sticky dots I bought at the $2 shop to be tucked in the cover. I pop a dot on each day I complete my quiet time. It helps me stay on track. I'm a dangling carrot kinda gal sometimes...
- I pull my diary out of my handbag after my quiet time, and sync my wall calendar, online calendar and diary before the day begins (yes, I need all three!)
- (not shown) I have started carrying a notebook in my handbag... its important. More on that one tomorrow ;)
I had all this stuff at home. Including the pretty box for the pens and stickers. But before the pretty box was a plain cardboard one. That's ok too. You don't need to spend a fortune to get started. Just use what you have and what works!
It works for me. What works for you?