I have tried a few different techniques. Nothing seems to work all the time, but these things have been successful at times.
- Turn the pillow over so its cool and take the blanket off. My nightmares and panics are often because I'm too hot.
- Get up and get a drink (keep the lights off so I can go back to sleep, just leave a plastic cup by the sink).
- Wash my face (its the too hot thing again)
- Bach Flower Rescue Remedy in my top drawer. My Grandma swears by the stuff. I'm sure its like 80% alcohol and that's what calms you!
- Predictably, a notepad by my bed is helpful for midnight rememberings of things that should have been done the day before.
- No caffeinated drinks, ever. I find it sooooo hard to wind down with even one cola in my system. So I don't drink them. Not everyone has that reaction obviously, but I do, so its no caffeine for me.
Most of the time I can do one of these things and get back to sleep. But not always. What are your go-to's for sleepless nights?