Sunday, January 8, 2012

Decluttering Madness


I'm a little obsessed at the moment with decluttering.

Other people's decluttering.

I have been reading countless blogs on New Year's declutter resolutions, joined threads and linky parties on decluttering 5 minutes a day for a year, even downloaded a calendar with a declutter-mission-a-day.

So what's the obsession?

I like the idea of getting rid of stuff. I think it makes sense to live with less. A while back I quit junk mail so I could be less tempted with buying stuff I don't need. It works - I really shop for anything any more. We have pretty much everything we need to make life work easily already in our house. And then some!

There is still heaps of stuff here we don't use and could get rid of. My rollerblades could probably go. I haven't actually worn them since ... maybe 2005?

Here's the thing. I don't actually like rollerblading. I'm a bit terrified of rollerblading really. But its a bit like the 18 boxes of brand-new kitchen wear we were given for our wedding 3 years ago, that are still unopened. And that's not counting the 15 other boxes at my Mum's house. We just don't have room in our tiny kitchen for any of it. And will most likely continue to get along without it. But its beautiful and people who love us chose it for us...

So I haven't decluttered much. I've tidied. Re-sorted. Organised. Because throwing things away is hard. But addictive.
Even when you are just reading about it.

Tomorrow, I might declutter a little. Or maybe I'll just move some stuff around and make things look neater so it looks like I have less for a little while. We'll see.

Are you a chucker or a hoarder?

3 comments:

  1. I think I'm a bit of a hoarder - but our place is too small for us to get any more stuff! Every time we go to John's mum's house she tries to give us more things to take home with us (which actually are ours such as wedding presents) and we've been able to mostly dodge it so far...!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh ... the rollerblades can GO! (But I'm biased, given my rollerblading experience with you hehe ...)

    Yes decluttering is fantastic. I find the hardest part about it is sourcing good storage solutions (like boxes the exact right size). I would have thought there would be more online shops selling storage boxes but I can't seem to find them.

    Chuckers of the world unite!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in the same mode right now. I can't stand clutter! Thanks for linking up to the NOBH!

    ReplyDelete