Thursday, September 8, 2011

September's Reading Plan

Desiring God ~ Dr. John Piper

Meditations of A Christian Hedonist

The Blurb:The great business of life is to glorify God by enjoying him forever. Discord between duty and delight doesn't exist: delight is our duty. Piper stuns us again and again with things we saw in the Bible, but never dared to believe. Join him on this dangerous quest for maximum joy in God. But beware, it may cost you your life. Never mind - "the steadfast love of the Lord is better than life" (Psalm 63:3).


My Thoughts So Far: This is a new concept for me and a challenging read that is really making me think and question aspects of what I hold on to. An excellent intro in to Piper's work, that I think every Evangelical should read. 



Married For God ~ Christopher Ash

Making your marriage the best it can be

The Blurb:The author examines the Bible's teaching on marriage, while remaining firmly earthed in the twenty-first century world where messing up, heartbreak, divorce and intimate chaos are distressingly common. Starting with God's grace applied to our pain and failure, the author centres on God's plan for intimacy and marriage, one of service.


My Thoughts So Far: You know when you first get a book like this, how you turn straight to the bits that apply to you right now? Twelve months ago I did that and never actually read the rest of the book. But now I will. 



The Power of A Praying Wife ~ Stormie Omartin

The Blurb:See more here

My Thoughts So Far: Picking this up again after a few interrupted weeks. I'm up to chapter 9 - how about you? I'm going to be sensible and hope to finish this in September as best I can. 




What are you reading this month?

3 comments:

  1. I think I got that marriage one the same time as you last year (at women's conference?). I do remember reading it, but I can't actually remember anything it said. I'm not sure if that means it didn't have anything new to add to other books of a similar topic,, or I just skimmed. Perhaps I should re-look at that one too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lozzz - yep That's the one! I remember that it was more biblical and less specific than others I'd read which at the time was frustrating because I wanted specifics. But now I'm in a ahem... much more mature place :P I'm looking forward to going a little slower this time...!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hubby is currently reading Desiring God - John Piper, I'll grab it next... I'm currently reading, Family Driven Faith -Voddie Baucham. Parenting from the Pew - Robbie Castleman. What the Bible Says about Parenting - John Macarthur and Shepherding a Child's Heart - Tedd Tripp. Love having lots of books going at one time! :)

    ReplyDelete