Friday, August 5, 2011

Learning to FLY...

image from flylady.net

So earlier this week I started thinking about the house. I'm trying to get the way I take care of my body in order, and that requires routine. But when it comes to the house, I have pretty much always taken a haphazard, do-it-when-I-need-to approach.

Actually, it's more of a do-it-when-I-have-to approach. Whoops.

So when I was reading a post somewhere and a lady said she had caught up on all her washing using the Flylady approach, I was like... ahem! Please share!

I googled Flylady. And realised I had found this site before. And its a tricky one to figure out. For a visual person like me, the layout is busy and the information isn't set up in a sequential way, you have to hunt a bit for what you need. So hunt I did.

I realised that the major emphasis of the system is on having a routine. Ah! I scoff, this will not work for me - I am a shift worker. Routines are the antithesis of getting up at a different time every day...! But I am a little hooked and so I keep reading.

And I realise this isn't a full on, time-dependent routine based system.

Its about doing little things each day that set you up to never really have to do big things. For example, by getting the kitchen reset every night this week, we haven't had an 'overload day' - you know - the day where you have to wash the vegie peeler from three days ago before you can use it again? No? You never have those days? Oh. That's just me...

This week, our bathroom has been guest-ready everyday, it now takes just 30 seconds to keep it that way. The kitchen has been meal prep ready every day. Can. not. explain. how much time that has saved me this week.

And get this, there was not enough dirty washing this morning to make a full load. INSANE!

It takes a bit of getting used to, and me being me, I rushed ahead and did all the baby steps in one go because I couldn't really wait to add one a day. But you might be more sensible than me.

Flylady. It's free, check it out - what have you got to loose?

7 comments:

  1. sounds like I might have to look into that... things are definitely haphazard when it comes to cleaning/organising here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha this post made me laugh so hard ... Could relate to so much of this! (The disorganization and washing peelers to use them, not the routine bit hehe). I visited the website but also found it hard to navigate ... Looks like it is worth investing the time to figure it out though. A guest-ready bathroom - now wouldn't that be something!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha yep so far, so good. There will be an update post shortly but my favorite thing is that it actually says on one of the cleaning lists to water plants. I thought, I don't have any so that's good. Turns out I do, there are two and they apparently need watering! Gotta love someone else's lists :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read the Flylady book a few years ago - I might need to check it out again. :) Thanks for linking up to NOBH!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just recently came out of the clutter closet. I have tried Flylady before and done okay for awhile and then fallen off the wagon. I signed up for her e-mails again recently and all it did was clutter my inbox! But I do think that her advice is good and that if I would follow it, I could get a handle on things around the house. Good luck to you in that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds great! I posted some printables I created on my blog a while back which help me but this site looks like a good resource! :)

    ReplyDelete