Thursday, February 10, 2011

What to do with disappointment


When I was tiny, I danced.  My favourite part of class was the mime. At the end of every ballet class, we would mime actions and emotions. Yes, no, listening, happy and...

disappointment.

Disappointment is standing still, hands clenched limply, face crumbled, shoulders sunk.

It is arriving too late for the party.

It is missing out on the last piece of pie.

It is the diagnosis we did not want to hear.

It is the asking of someone else.

It is having our plans, the things we hope for, those we look forward to, fall dashed to the ground.

Disappointment is the thing I like least in life.

What do we do with disappointment in life? Do we shove it down, push back tears, steel ourselves and move on? Or do we cry it out, acknowledge the pain and work through it?

What do we do when our disappointment is with God?

I have so much to be thankful for. So do you. But Christians are no strangers to disappointment. How are we to deal with the disappointment we experience in life?

I want to work through this issue over a series of posts in the next few weeks. Reflecting on this topic reminded me of Phillip Yancey's book, Disappointment with God. I will be reading this at the same time and reflecting on what our response is to be to the disappointment of our expectations.

Will you join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment