Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Choose Your Choice

I drove home today from my dietician's appointment - 1 hour in the car in traffic right on my usual dinner time...


AND I DIDN'T STOP FOR CHOCOLATE


That, my friends, is a very big deal! 


Oh I thought about it. The entire. way. home.
But I made it impossible by staying in the 'wrong' lane on the road so that I couldn't pull off into the petrol station for a quick bite. I played little videos of my desperate self just running in for a chocolate bar in my head. When I was only at most, 45 minutes away from dinner on the table. It seemed a bit pathetic. I even contemplated stopping at the milk bar which is just outside my house ...  


Changing a habit is not about change. Its about choice.


You already know the right thing to do.  My 2 and a half hours including travel time to visit the dietician who weighed me, asked me how I was going and then chatted for a few minutes, before charging me $98.00 and asking for another appointment in 3 weeks (I'm done - I know exactly what I need to do, and I'm doing it - without her) - was a waste of time and money, when I already had all the tools I need to finish this!


Choices. Don't choose that lane, that servo, that chocolate. 


Choose to get up earlier, go for the run (its never as bad as you think it will be), pack the lunch and then actually eat what you have packed.  Make a choice. Make a good choice. 


And motivate yourself in a way that suits you. For me its boxing gloves. I really want my own pair of boxing gloves. So my hubby said 200 good choices earns a pair of boxing gloves. I made a chart on the computer. I found some star stickers (you could just draw stars too) and every time I make a good choice, I'm a step closer to my goal. Not buying the chocolate is a good choice. Going to the gym is a good choice. Eating well for the entire day (not just one meal) is a good choice. 


Choose your choices. Say that out loud - choose your choices. Don't just do something and think "Oh, I shouldn't have done that/" When you have a choice to make, choose your choice - don't let your choices just happen to you!


Paul write about discipline in Hebrews 12. Here is referring to the spiritual discipline of obeying God. God's desire for obedience is absolute, so this passage should inspire us in many ways, be it what we eat, what we focus our trust on, what we read, how we pray and how we live.. 


7 Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as his children. For what children are not disciplined by their father? 8 If you are not disciplined—and everyone undergoes discipline—then you are not legitimate, not true sons and daughters at all. 9 Moreover, we have all had human fathers who disciplined us and we respected them for it. How much more should we submit to the Father of spirits and live! 10 They disciplined us for a little while as they thought best; but God disciplines us for our good, in order that we may share in his holiness. 11 No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.


How are you exercising your will power today?

1 comment:

  1. Great thoughts and I love using stars as motivation. (The old first grade teacher in me.)

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete