Monday, July 12, 2010

Completing Him Challenge Week 5





The Completing Him Challenge this week is: Make a list of 5 things you currently do and ask your husband to prioritize them for you of what is important to him. For example - a clean home, home cooked dinner, coupon clipping, service at church, having friends over for dinner, watching/doing sports with him, etc.


Last night I made a list of all the things I could think of that would be things that enter into Mr. Awesome's world. I gave him the list and asked him to prioritise the items. There were 11 things on my original list, and he added one more.  Here are his top five:


5. Keep the social calendar organised
4. Plan and prepare meals 
3. Invite people over to visit
2. Ensure bills are paid and mail is sorted/answered
1. Keep time for me


As we both work full time and I work varying shifts, Awesome is often home before me, so almost everything else on the list (including cleaning, washing, ironing, shopping) we share very evenly. At this point in our lives it works really well, so most of those things scored further down the list as shared items. The things above are those that Awesome prefers me to take care of. The item he added was #1 Keep time for me!  As I am often busy with work and church commitments during the week, it has always been extremely important for me to be at home as much as possible. Every now and then I jam my calendar full with too many out of house activities and by the end of the week things can get a bit wobbly round here! Thankfully we have recognised this pattern and I try very hard to keep it under control as much as possible. 


This was a really encouraging discussion for us to have and I was really touched when Awesome offered me the chance to make a list for him. It was great to just sit and discuss things together. Here (with his permission) is my list:


5. Garbage/recycling duty (that sounds very petty but we are on the third floor!)
4. Washing and ironing
3. Keep an eye on house maintenance
2. Initiate date nights
1. Plan time for us to read the Bible together


A couple of hours later, he asked me which nights this week I was free to read the Bible and go on a date night! We have planned these into the week's schedule! 


How did your top five go? 

8 comments:

  1. This was so encouraging! Wow, at his #1 ! Woo hoo!

    Here's mine:

    http://ordinaryinspirations.blogspot.com/2010/07/are-you-running-yourself-ragged-trying.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome - I love that this was reciprocal - you have a GREAT man! Keep it up!
    Much Love,
    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi I found you through the Completing Him Challenge! Love your lists!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving this idea ... Now I want to learn more about this challenge thing.

    Delighted to meet you today. Hope you don't mind if I splash around for a bit. This looks like a refreshing place to slip off my shoes and soak in some goodness.

    Splashing,
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  5. neat post!
    unique was "invite people over to visit" - very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the way you were able to share your priorities.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's so cool, it's hard yet important to know what is meaningful and valued by your spouse. This looks like an awesome way to work it out!

    Love it how Mr Awesome started organising a date night and time to read the Bible after you showed him how important it was to you. So lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's so sweet that he had you make a list for him! <3

    ReplyDelete