Saturday, July 3, 2010

30 Excellent Books Update

Back in January I decided to read 30 excellent books in 2010. The point was to stretch my mind and spend time focussed on things that would pull me forward, majorly in the areas of Christian living and spiritual discipline. Its time to review the list and see how I'm doing!

I originally only chose 21 books so that I was open to reading other books that crossed my path throughout the year. It seems that so far I have read more "other" books than those on the original list! 

My 2010 30 Excellent Books List (in no particular order)

  1. Disciplines of a Godly Woman by Barbara Hughes
  2. A Call to Spiritual Reformation by D.A Carson
  3. According to Plan by Graeme Goldsworthy
  4. From Clutter To Clarity by Nancy Twigg
  5. The Excellent Wife by Martha Peace
  6. The Lion Handbook to the Bible by David and Pat Alexander
  7. The Love Dare by Stephen and Alex Kendrick
  8. Feminine Appeal by Carolyn Mahaney
  9. Power of a Praying Wife by Stormie Omartin
  10. Power of Praying Through the Bible by Stormie Omartin
  11. The Plight of Man and The Power of God by Martin Lloyd-Jones
  12. How Should We Then Live by Frances A. Schaeffer
  13. Guidance and the Voice of God by Phillip D. Jensen and Tony Payne
  14. Knowing God by J.I. Packer
  15. Knowledge of the Holy by A.W Tozer
  16. The Pursuit of God by A.W.Tozer
  17. Commentary on Romans by Martin Luther
  18. My Utmost for His Highest by Oswald Chambers
  19. The Cross by Martyn Lloyd-Jones
  20. Spiritual Blessing by Martyn Lloyd-Jones
  21. Hind's Feet on High Places by Hannah Hurnard
  22. Sheet Music by Dr. Kevin Leman
  23. The Birth Order Book by Dr. Kevin Leman
  24. How Women Help Men Find God by David Morrow
  25. Finding God by Larry Crabb
  26. Home Court Advantage by Dr. Kevin Leman
  27. Hungry for God by John Piper
Some of the reason for my slowness has been the difficulty of finding the books I originally set out to read - most of these were recommendations so I didn't actually own them (note to self: next year I will pick all the books on my shelf I haven't read yet!). I also have had a number of work related books to read this year which have devoured some of my time and energy. I currently have about 4 of these books on the go (I have a very distractable personality so I like to have different options at anyone time!!) and I intend to blog about several of these that I have recently finished reading also. 

I thought it was probably also time to have a quick reflect on the goals I set for 2010. 

  • Find time to have quiet time with God everyday - I am still working on this but at the moment I am managing around 3-4 days a week
  • Use less internet each day - create stillness in the home - hmmm..this one needs work...!
  • Have less junk in my life - physically and spiritually -physically I have been through 3 of the 6 rooms in our home so far and have been ruthless in riding us of the excess junk we just don't need - typically I have saved the harder rooms for last!!
  • Read 30 excellent books
  • Complete the first level of the Preliminary Theological Certificate - I am hoping that now that work has settled down I will be able to enroll for the next intake of subjects in the series.
  • Plan meals to manage the budget more effectively - we are finally starting to save more effectively through managing our budget and particularly our food. I am learning to use my freezer and slow cooker to help keep the costs down and not throw out so much food. 
  • Memorise Ephesians this year- oh dear - this is one I haven't even STARTED yet!
  • Remember more and forget less! hmmm.... only those around me can tell me if this is working! I am trying very hard to return phone calls emails and messages in reasonable time frames and to remember the things that I promise people I will do for them! 
  • Complete sewing projects for gifts and for the house - is a sewing list ever complete? I think that's a whole blog post in itself!
Overall, I have perhaps been a little ambitious in my goal setting for this year - but on the positive side we are only half way through! Praying that God will give me the strength to prioritise. 

How are your goals going this year? 

1 comment:

  1. You've managed about one book a month, which is pretty good!

    I have these books off your list if it helps:

    Disciplines of a Godly Woman
    A Call to Spiritual Reformation
    According to Plan
    The Lion Handbook to the Bible
    Knowing God
    My Utmost for His Highest.

    I joined a book club that was starting with a couple of girls at church - I needed the motivation to read books! God has chosen to speak to us through the written word, so I know I need to be reading more! We have read two books so far (Humility and The Prodigal God), over about 3 months or less. I love the feeling of finishing a book, and it's extra good to be able to talk about it with people afterwards.

    ReplyDelete