Friday, December 17, 2010


During the week, I placed a random comment on Facebook about the sinking feeling I get most mornings upon waking as I suddenly remember all the things I didn't get done yesterday. 


Remembering things I haven't done sometimes wakes me up in the middle of the night! Have you experienced that guilt/regret/cold sweat panic that comes from forgetting things? 


A couple of hours later a friend sent me an encouraging reply.  You, know the 'buck up, you'll be right' type of post that we crave when we leave these self-pitying messages. But there was one thing in particular that jumped out at me...


"Make Shorter Lists"




Make shorter lists? Genius!  I don't know why, but I have never, never thought of doing that!


At work (which is where I have the most problem with this), I keep a running list in a daily diary pad. That list can go for pages and is endless. Each day I write down all the things I want to get done in a day and cross them off as I go. 


There are two minor problems with this:


1. I do a host of other things as well that aren't on the list that prevent me from getting the list done. 
2. There are too many things on the daily list to ever be done in a day - meaning I always feel like I failed.


Every day. 


So, here is my new focus over Christmas as my mind runs away with a million plans to clean out every space in my house and repaint things and sew things and bake things and visit people and... (mind you, I am working full time right through the Christmas and January holiday period, so I'm not sure when I think I'm going to do all this...) - MAKE SHORTER LISTS.


Feel free to bumble along with me as I figure this out! 

2 comments:

  1. You might enjoy this ideas as well. Whenever I complete something that is NOT on my written list, I go ahead and write it on there, just for the joy of clicking it off.

    Merry Christmas.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    P.S. Glad you have friends that know how to encourage you with such practical advise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Glenda - there is nothing more satisfying than an all ticked off list!

    Merry Christmas to you too!

    ReplyDelete