- diced or grated vegetables - I used carrot, onion, celery
- 4-6 very ripe to over ripe tomatoes
- 500ml of gluten/sugar/dairy free vegetable stock
- 1 bottle of passata (check the label for one with no sugar added. There will be a small amount of sugar in the percentage box as tomatoes contain natural sugar.
- handful fresh chopped basil
- Heat a little oil in saucepan, add hard vegetables and sauté until soft
- Add herbs and tomatoes, cover with stock, reduce to low and allow to sweat with the lid one for 2-3 hours
- Remove from hotplate and allow to cool
- Put vege mix into a blender and add 3-4 cups of passata, one cup at a time as you mix, until desired consistency and colour is achieved. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Store in an airtight container for 3-4 days.
- Store in freezer for 2 months in zip lock bags that can be thawed in the fridge overnight.
A yummy alternative to commercial tomato sauces.