Saturday, June 26, 2010

Slow Cooker Vegetable Soup Recipe



A couple of nights ago I experimented with my slow cooker to make a vegetable soup. I struggled to find a recipe for a basic vegetable soup with no meat in it (mostly because we didn't have any!). So here is my basic slow cooker vegetable soup.  If you use a gluten and dairy free stock, then it is also dairy and gluten free!!  If you substitute vegetable stock for the beef stock I used, you will also have a vegetarian (and I think also vegan?) soup!

Ingredients I used:
- 2 carrots diced
- 1 swede diced
- 2 small parsnips (these were tiny tiny so maybe 1 bigger one) diced
- 2 cups dried soup mix - lentils green and brown, yellow and green split peas, kidney, broad and bortolli beans, soaked overnight and rinsed
- 2 litres (depending on size of your slow cooker) of beef/vegetable stock or water and stock cube equivalent
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon mixed dried herbs
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1-2 sticks celery chopped
- 1 cup rice vermicelli

Method:

Add all ingredients except for the celery and rice vermicelli to the slow cooker, turn on and thats it!

My 2 litres of soup (I had to top it up a bit as my beans where not soaked so they soaked up a lot of water) took about 6 hours on High but another hour or two on low would have reduced it a bit an enhanced the flavour even more. I added the celery and vermicelli in the last 2 hours.

Very yummy, and we had lots of soup to freeze for later :)

No comments:

Post a Comment