My criteria are the following;
- must be durable and long lasting - 45 children a day, 52 weeks a year
- preferably open-ended or multi-purpose
- cover a range of developmental areas
- no small parts - most toys in the center are used by children from 6 months to 6 years
- easy to clean and meeting Australian standards where required
- low environmental impact where possible
- cost-effective or low cost
Gee! I don't ask for much do I!
This is what I have come up with so far:
- Discovery Bags - will have to alter the pattern as the plastic beads would be a choking hazard
- Bilibo - I love this idea, but I think it is financially too expensive for the centre (we would ideally need 6-8 of these)
- Home-made Dollhouse furniture that we could make ourselves with the children
- Tyre Garden Bed (see below) we already have tyres for free from a local tyre store. We just need to organise soil and plants!
Do you have any other ideas of things that we could make or provide for the children?